Republican Wigwam Erected at Chicago, attributed to William Thomas Law, 1860

The Great Wigwam

The Republican Party held its convention in Chicago on May 16, 1860. They met at the “The Great Wigwam,” a temporary two-story wooden structure located at Market and Lake Streets. The large building held nearly 10,000 people but, following the era’s standard custom, none of the potential candidates, including Lincoln, were in attendance.