The identity of the printer or designer of this map is not indicated, but it bears a strong resemblance to maps published in the same period by Rufus Blanchard. The publication of street maps was particularly active in this period. In 1889 Chicago annexed the adjacent townships of Lake View and Jefferson to the north and Lake and Hyde Park. Additional annexations to the west and around the edges of the city in 1890-92 brought the City of Chicago nearly to its modern dimensions. The acquisition of Hyde Park, forming much of the modern South Side, allowed Chicago to take control of choice lakefront parkland (modern Jackson and Washington Parks). It was this spot that served as the site of the World’s Columbian Exposition of 1893. The prospect of the fair and the industrial development of the Calumet Region stimulated the platting of new South Side neighborhoods and suburbs. Harvey, the sponsor of this edition, held a utopian vision that these new communities could be planned and regulated in such a way that alleviated the social problems associated with industrial growth elsewhere in the American metropolis. Turlington Harvey conceived Harvey Land Association in 1889. He sought to create an ideal industrial town with a strict code of temperance, for he hoped to attract a religiously devout and sober labor force that would be immune to the labor unrest that had been endemic in industrial Chicago during the 1880s. The map was produced with the same care to the favorable presentation of Harvey to prospective employers and home buyers that was characteristic of Chicago’s railroad maps advertising railroads serving the Great Plains. Text at lower left and upper right of this map boasts of the modern infrastructure, fine parks, and boulevards under construction or planned for the town force and the affordability of its housing and choice industrial sites. The map shows clearly the proximity of the town to rail and port facilities, yet at the same time Harvey appears as a place still surrounded by open, rural land. Harvey grew rapidly to more than 5,000 residents by 1900, though the ban on saloons was lifted by a referendum in 1895.
Dillon, Diane. "Mapping Enterprise: Cartography and Commodification at the 1893 World's Columbian Exposition," in Nineteenth-Century Geographies: Anglo-American Tactics of Space, ed. Helena Michie and Ronald Thomas. New Brunswick: Rutgers University Press, 2003.
Gilbert, James. Perfect Cities: Chicago's Utopias of 1893. Chicago: University of Chicago Press, 1991.
History, the City of Harvey, 1890–1962. Harvey, Illinois: First National Bank of Harvey, 1962.
Keating, Ann Durkin. Building Chicago: Suburban Developers and the Creation of a Divided Metropolis. Columbus: Ohio State University Press, 1988.
Keating, Ann Durkin, Chicagoland: City and Suburbs in the Railroad Age. Chicago: University of Chicago Press, 2005.
Harvey: The Temperance Manufacturing Town (Chicago: Harvey Land Association, 1891). The Newberry Library, map6F G1404.C6 1891 .H3