On October 26, 1906, six members of the Merchants Club—including Charles D. Norton, Charles H. Wacker, Edwin B. Butler, Walter H. Wilson, David R. Forgan, and Frederic A. Delano—formed what become known as the Committee on the Plan of Chicago. These Progressive-minded businessmen formed subcommittees to discuss projects such as lakefront improvement, raised funds to support Burnham’s efforts, lobbied political interests, and approved the final Plan of Chicago for release to the public. This photograph shows the Committee on the Plan of Chicago meeting in the D.H. Burnham and Company offices in the Railway Exchange Building (now known as the Santa Fe Building) with Daniel Burnham and Edward Bennett in 1908. Illustrations from the Plan are on the surrounding walls.
Smith, Carl. The Plan of Chicago: Daniel Burnham and the Remaking of the American City. Chicago: University of Chicago Press, 2006.
George R. Lawrence Co. “Committee on the Plan of Chicago.” Circa 1908. Chicago History Museum, ICHi-03560